Aug 4, 2009

Allergy from the sun

When I was still in high school I have this classmate who had an allergy from the sun. During flag ceremony we would go out under the sun for about five to ten minutes everyday and I’ve noticed that her skin became intensely red and the rashes fused together. An allergic skin condition that occurs after exposure to the sun is called photocontact allergy or photo hypersensitivity. This is a reaction of the sun’s ultraviolet rays with deposited or accumulated chemical substances in the skin. The most common culprits are antibacterial or skin whitening components in bath soaps, scented lotions, medicated or bleaching creams. There are also some medicines like antibiotics or vitamins that can produce photocontact allergy. The rash notably develops only on the sun-exposed parts of the skin.since the allergic reaction is triggered by exposure to the sun rays.

Once you know the substance that can trigger this allergy, you should completely avoid using it. Be aware that this substance can be a component of soap or cosmetics or anything being applied to the skin or in the medications that you are taking. Avoid sun exposure, especially while the active compound that triggered your allergy is still present. Before going out, apply sunscreen lotion to all exposed parts of your body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

skin problems can be a pain...

stay covered...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Reminder to everyone:

English is my second language so bear with me if my grammar, as well as sentence and paragraph construction is faulty. I am not writing to impress but simply to express my thoughts.

The opinion written here is solely mine and I have no intention to impose it to anyone for that matter. So as the title goes this is just my perception