Apr 18, 2009

Treating respiratory infections at home

In the Philippines people are prone to respiratory tract infections because of the ever changing climate. It is extremely hot in the mid afternoon at 89 F and all of a sudden it will rain. Especially now that it is summer already it’s burning hot and it’s even worse if you don’t have an air conditioner in your home. I have cough and colds these few days and I've just treated it at home but beware of prolong and persistent cough with fever it could be pneumonia when that happens it is advisable to admit yourself in the hospital because you need high dosage of intravenous antibiotics.

Anyway I have cough and colds that begins last April 4 and I’m still sick up to now. What makes it even worse is that my two children had also got this communicable disease from me. I have taken in 30 mg of amboxol 3 times a day with antibiotics such as amoxicillin at 500 mg 3 times a day for one week. I also drink plenty of water to flush out toxins from this disease. Thank God today my colds is gone but my cough is still there but at least I have not experience frequent coughing. As much as possible I really don’t like to take in antibiotics but I think my cough is really persistent unlike in the past. When I was pregnant I also have cough and colds but I did not take in antibiotics or other medications just 1,000 mg. of ascorbic acid or Vit. C and plenty of fluids and I’m well. Last Wednesday I have aerosol medication therapy at home, the doctor prescribed 1 ml salbutamol mixed with 2 ml salinase solution for inhalation. It really helps a lot because it stops the frequency of my coughing and I can now breathe well.

Influenza could be avoided if we have flu shots every year which cost 1,000 pesos per person. My toddler had Pneumoccocal immunization but I still have to give him his flu shots. My baby girl don’t have Pneumoccocal immunization because it’s way too expensive at her age which cost about 5,000 per injection at three dosage but I planned to have her immunized when she will turn one year old this July because it will only take one injection at 1,800 pesos. Pneumoccocal vaccines such as pneumo23 and 7 valient are very effective in avoiding respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia while Influenza vaccine is effective in avoiding flu and bronchitis

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Reminder to everyone:

English is my second language so bear with me if my grammar, as well as sentence and paragraph construction is faulty. I am not writing to impress but simply to express my thoughts.

The opinion written here is solely mine and I have no intention to impose it to anyone for that matter. So as the title goes this is just my perception