Jun 12, 2009

Celebrating the Philippines 111 years of independence

We are celebrating the most important event of our nation; the day the Republic of the Philippines was created and governed by its own people. I think by now we should have to be united to a common goal, and that should be to aim in making the Philippines one of the richest countries in the world. If the Philippines become rich then everyone in our country will be provided well with better social services, better employment, better education, better shelter and better opportunities for all. I’m thinking that there is a possibility that this could happen because our country is rich in natural resources. The most important resources are our people and to think it has become one of the most exported resources in our country. Sad but it is true. It has also become one of most abundant and I think inexhaustible because everyday thousand of babies are born.

Way back when I was still in college, I was a member of our school publication. I write most feature stuff like essays and interviews. I am a school writer for four years and during that time we were a member of the College Editors Guild of the Philippines or CEGP. One time when I was in my junior year we have attended the national convention that was held in South Cotabato, Mindanao. The President of the guild was a senior student in UP, Manila, one of the prestigious schools in our country. I’ve seen her on TV as one of the protesters against the Philippine Government. In fact almost all of the school writers are activist and I’ve seen it many times. During that time the president of the Philippines was Fidel V. Ramos and during our convention our guild leaders would discuss all about the issues and concerns against our government. I think whoever will become president of the Philippines there is still a flaw and there will always be issues. There will always be criticism about them and the way they handle the government.

I am not against protesters or activist in fact they help a great deal in preserving our democracy. What I mean is we are already a democracy and as long as they are there to stand their ground we will remain that way. A dictatorial President cannot come to power again because of the people who stood their ground and raise their voice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Reminder to everyone:

English is my second language so bear with me if my grammar, as well as sentence and paragraph construction is faulty. I am not writing to impress but simply to express my thoughts.

The opinion written here is solely mine and I have no intention to impose it to anyone for that matter. So as the title goes this is just my perception